Sunday, April 5, 2015

30 March 2015 - Stayin' in Marshall

Greetings!
So I'm staying here in Marshall for another six weeks. My companion is also staying; there weren't any changes made to our area. This means I will very likely be part of the Omaha Nebraska Mission when the boundary changes happen later this month.  
Well, after our baptism last week, it seemed like this week was just not as productive. Though Elder Eastin and I did what we could, things kept happening that really discouraged us. But hey, it's a new week with new opportunities. We are both looking forward to a better week with lots of teaching (hopefully). We have been working with another investigator who hopefully will be baptized in the upcoming month. He is progressing very well is working to stop smoking.  Smoking cessation is something that seems to be a common thing that people need to conquer.
So for the first time in my mission, we had a guy go out of his way to openly confront us. He pulled over in his car and started out with, "Jesus Christ is the Son of God!" This caught us a bit caught off guard and we were hopeful that he wanted to talk to us.  My companion and I stopped and replied with, "Yes! He is!" Then everything went down hill from there. He then proceeded to tell us that the Bible was the only thing that testified of Jesus Christ, and that we were crazy for believing that "Crazy Ol' Joe Smith" was a prophet and finally that the Book of Mormon wasn't true. We didn't argue with him and simply invited him to read the Book of Mormon and pray to know whether it was true before making such statements (he said he hadn't read it).  We then testified of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith as a prophet of God. He didn't like that too much and drove off while saying "You boys are being mislead." I yelled back "No, I don't think we are." Now, I probably shouldn't have countered his last comment, but I was sick of him bashing on us and going out of his way to do so.  My companion and I just chuckled as we continued down the road to go knock on some more doors. It's interesting how we let our humanity get to us at times and become confrontational when it comes to religion. I'm sure the Savior wants us all to do better.

Now you guys listen up...I don't want any more grief about falling asleep the day I went home to get my tithing!  I don't want to hear any more about this matter! =) Haha! I can totally see Noah "head-bobbing" on the stand as he attempts to stay awake through one church meeting.  He better learn to fix that or he is going to get a ton of crap from his companions and the ward members he serves with.  Even is everyone else is sleeping, missionaries can never get away with it--and he will be harassed. 

Elder Eastin and I are getting along well.  He LOVES to talk far more than I do, but overall we are a great companionship.
We finally got in contact with Lauri's brother.  We stopped by their house and shared a lesson.  He and his wife have a one-year old who is already walking and is the biggest baby I have ever seen.  Caitlin would think she is, "Totes Presh!" It was awesome to be able to meet them and share a message. You can definitely see the family resemblance in the two of them.

Well, I hope you all have an outstanding week and I'm getting excited to talk to you in a month on Mother's Day!
-Love Elder Rasmussen 

No comments:

Post a Comment