Sunday, January 11, 2015

5 January 2015

Hail, from Minnesota!!
So sorry that I was unable to write to ya'll on Monday. I was on the transfer train (AKA a giant 15 passenger van) for two days. I arrived in my new area yesterday evening and things are going well. We got a phone call at 10:00 p.m. the night I arrived saying that I would be put into a different area to help out another missionary...so I was in Pipestone, MN, but now I'm in Marshall, MN.  Not sure at this time whether Marshall will be my new area or whether my stay here is just temporary.
Marshall seems to be a lot like Sheridan which is cool, but it's a lot colder here. I'll finally have a reason to use all of the winter gear I was given! Marshall has a population of about 14,000 people and from what I can see so far, the average age in Marshall seems to be older...a lot of senior folks here.  And yes, the people here do have that wonderful Minnesota accent..even though they don't think they do.  My new companion is Elder Lete. We are getting along great so far! I've only been here a few days so I'm still trying to get a grasp on everything. 
One of our good church investigators in Sheridan was baptized! I got to confirm her a member of the church and my companion baptized her. It was an awesome blessing to experience before I left the area. I'll send some more pics soon.
So that's my really exciting news for the week.  The people here are very friendly and just like the movie I watched with Dad before I left on my mission ("New in Town" with Renée Zellweger and Harry Connick, Jr...in fact, Marshall is not too far from New Ulm, where the movie is set to take place) something similar happened to me. I woke up today and looked outside...it seemed sunny and there wasn't any wind.  I thought, well this won't be too bad...people probably just hype the cold up cause they need an excuse to complain. I walked outside and in about half a second was like, "HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL!!"  My nose hairs froze in a matter of seconds and when I touched my bike to put it on the bike rack it burned my hand because it was so cold. Burned by the cold...one of the strangest things I have ever experienced! That's all that has really happened here so far,  but I'm sure that something exciting will happen in the upcoming week! I'm happy that everything is going well at home; I love you and miss you all!
-Elder Rasmussen

No comments:

Post a Comment